Drinking Game of Thrones
Disclaimer: We have not yet tested these rules with any actual episodes. The number of drinks could be way too many, way too few, or perfect. The number of drinks is also dependent on your obligations the next day, so that's on you!
Game of Thrones is full of characters operating in gray areas. Before the episode starts, make a mental note of characters you view as "good" and "bad". Here we go!
- "Good" character suffers a setback
- A new segment in a new location begins
- Tyrion says "drink", "drunk", "drank"
- Brienne talks about honor, oaths, or failing
- Horses in a scene
- Female evil-eye
- "Bad" character suffers a setback
- White Walker sighting
- Someone says "winter is coming"
- Littlefinger creeps (on Sansa or in general)
- Direwolf sighting
- Male evil-eye
- Dragon sighting (per dragon)
- Tyrion or Cersei appear in a scene but do not drink
- Reminder of House affiliation (you're/I'm a ______)
- Plans backfire
- Special Rules
- Bastard Builder - number of drinks increases every time someone says "bastard"
- Birdwatching - number of drinks increases every time birds are involved (Littlefinger's sigil, Varys's spies, the High Sparrow, Crows, Ravens, etc.)
- Pick a House - Give out drinks for the number of your chosen house appearing together in a scene
- MODIFICATION - The original Brienne rule has been expanded to include anyone talking about oaths, honor, or traitors.
- MODIFICATION - Birdwatching is being revised. Rather than adding a drink for every occurrence, it's a one-drink rule. This will reduce the overload we saw in Episode 3 (1+1+1+1+1+1+1 instead of 1+2+3+4+5+6+7).
- REMOVAL - Removing the male- and female- evil-eyes rule. It's just too difficult to determine if every look or none of the looks should count.
- ADDITION - One new rule: Eye Contact. One drink every time a character talks to another character who determinedly looks in a different direction. It's great for TV, but damn would I be irritated if I was the one talking.
- MODIFICATION - Bird-watching nerfed from a 1+1 builder, to simply a 1 drink rule.
- REMOVAL - Removal of the "setback" rule.
- ADDITION - Giantsbane-Tarth Rule: Anytime Tormund hits on Brienne take two drinks.